How to search for prior arts? (Patentability search)
If you have been searching for a comprehensive guide on how to conduct a patent search, then you are at the right place Wissen Research is a one-stop solution for patentability search services. We also provide Patentability services in the UK, USA.
Table of Contents
- What is a patentability search?
- Why should you perform a patentability search?
- How do you perform a patentability search?
- What patentability search report includes?
A novelty search can help businesses by:
How do you perform a patentability search?
To get a good start on your own patentability search, take the following steps:
- Choose a keyword that is relevant to your idea and enter it into your patent search tool. To make sure you don’t miss anything, start broad and then limit your search.
- Choose the most appropriate CPC categorization for your idea to find patent documents that are the most similar to yours. It’s important to remember that these codes are coded by examiners who may have their own personal and subjective opinions, so take extra precautions.
- Look for the closest matching CPC categorization in both the PatFT (issued patents) and the AppFT (published patent applications) documents.
- Find even more related patents by using the citations of prior art from the most relevant patents from your search.
- Extend the scope of your search by repeating the process.
While you can conduct your own patent search, the results may not be as accurate as those obtained by a patent lawyer or other specialist. To even know how to run a novelty search and understand the material you uncover, you’ll need to do a lot of research on the subject. So, while you can do it on your own, it’s not recommended unless you have a lot of time to devote to learning about the patent process.
Therefore, hiring a patent consultant is worthwhile because they may uncover outcomes that you missed. Your patent could be compromised if you don’t hire a specialist.
What patentability search report includes?
A patentability search report, in basic terms, contains reference of any kind which discloses the same or similar invention to the invention in question. A patentability search and analysis report can help you determine whether your invention is innovative and non-obvious, which are two of the three requirements for patentability.
A patentability search report is a valuable resource to have before filing a patent application since it provides you with more confidence when filing your patent application. Additionally, the information obtained from the patentability search report might help you or your patent attorney create an effective patent application.
Before filing a patent application, you must do thorough prior art searches. If you’re looking for assistance with prior art searches, the experts at Wissen Research can help you with patentability search.